Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bee day
2-6-11, I knew the bees needed a helping hand after the nasty weather last week. Today was nice, got to 70 degrees in JC. I mixed the bees a couple of gallons of food which should see them through the worst of winter, and put back 2 of the 3 frames I owed them in the honey super. The bees had built their own honey comb in the rest of the space. Most of it was empty and they had obviously been living off that honey. There were a few dead soldiers at the hive entrance, but the hive was surviving despite the recent cold temps. I removed the comb they had hanging from the hive top, but there was still a large piece of comb at the bottom of the honey super that was left for the bees. I still get rattled by the buzzing bees, knowing they are pissed to be disturbed. My new dome hooded bee suit is awesome, and keeps me protected, but once you have come face to face with a bee inside your bee suit it (and know the inevitable outcome) it is unnerving to hear them buzz so close. I work quick and don’t linger for a photo op.
Here is one I took at home:

No comments:

Post a Comment