Thursday, March 10, 2011

in memory of Brian Young

I met Brian Young late last summer. He was playing a gig at The Friendly Bar in Johnson City. Brian immediately immpressed me with his powerful, but unpretensious talent. He captivated the room and had everyone smiling. In typical hill country fashion when he sat down at the bar next to me we struck up a conversation and I asked if he could play a party at our barn in October. He checked his calander and we set the date. Brian had been all over Europe and the States touring, but he loved the Texas hill country the best. Our get together at the barn was small, maybe a couple dozen people, and I was grateful Brian could do it. Everybody enjoyed it, especially Brian. I paid him when the evening was over and Brian went home to Comfort. After Brian left he called to tell me I had given him too much money. "No I said, thats your tip". "Wow that's great" he said. That's just how Brian was, very honest and unassuming. I got a call a couple of weeks ago that Brian was in a coma in a San Antionio Hospital. No details, but it was obviously dire. Today I found out Brian is gone. I told Terry, and she said, honey I don't know if you knew, but Brian Told me that night he played at the barn, that was his dream gig, playing for us out there at the barn. He said he had played all over, but that he liked gigs like ours the best. I am glad I could be a small part of Brian's dream gig, and I hope he gets a lot of them in heaven.
Cheers,Brian Young we'll miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment